The First-Ever Virtual IEC Convention & Expo 2020 a Huge Success
The first-ever IEC Virtual Convention was an amazing success! IEC wishes to thank all who made the event possible – our amazing Platinum Partners, the exhibitors who made the virtual expo hall a vibrant and important place to be, our world-class speakers, the IEC National Board of Directors, the IEC National staff, president Candy Branham, and all of you who attended!
We truly hope that you found the experience engaging and enjoyable. We could never duplicate the energy of a live convention online, but we did our best to bring you a great show despite the difficult circumstances we’ve all encountered in 2020.
On October 21, we had the pleasure of experiencing a four-hour pre-convention education session from Ned Johns, training manager with Ideal Industries. “An Honest Look at Our ESP & ESWP” reviewed OSHA regulations, NFPA 70E standards, and took an honest look at the key components of implementing a well-thought out Electrical Safety Program (ESP) and Electrically Safe Work Practices (ESWP).
We started off The IEC Virtual Convention & Expo 2020 with a bang on October 28 with Governance Day and the opening of the IEC Virtual Expo Hall, a robust and vibrant virtual hub where attendees had the opportunity to explore new technology, view exhibitor videos, and chat with reps from some of the biggest and most innovative companies in the business.
IEC thanks all of those who exhibited with us this year, and hopes that we will be able to visit with you in person at the IEC Convention & Expo 2021 in Denver.
Renowned author and leadership speaker, Steve Farber, set the tone for day 2 with an inspirational keynote address on extreme leadership. Steve shared his thoughts on how inspiring your clients to love what you do for them is the key to long-term success. His presentation, “The Personal Side of Innovation – Managing Risk from the Inside Out,” drew rave reviews from attendees and seemed to really resonate with our electrical contractor members.
Engaging Education Sessions
Attendees enjoyed another 23 educational sessions during two dedicated blocks on October 29 and three dedicated blocks on October 30. The speakers were amazing and offered our members timely and relevant content to apply on the job immediately.
IEC wishes to thank all of our speakers for being part of our first-ever virtual convention, and for providing rich content to our members.
- Creating Culture in the Construction World, Marissa Bankert, Central PA IEC
- EmPOWERING Your Future Through Wireless Solutions, Eric Toenjes, Graybar
- Mapping the Dark: Creating a Unified Business Strategy to Plan for the Unknown, Steve Antill, Foundation Software
- Estimating and Design Build – Using the Latest Technology Trends for Productivity, Paul Wheaton, McCormick Systems
- The Future of Jobsite Safety is Here, Raffi Elchemmas, Milwaukee Tool
- Selection-Development-Retention of Top Talent, Curt Tueffert, speaker, author, and professor
- Smart Infrastructure Design for Integrated Building Applications, Carol Everett Oliver, BICSI
- Don’t Kill Your Golden Goose – Protect & Perpetuate Your Business, Larry Oxenham, American Society for Asset Protection
- Evolution of Insulated Hand Tools – Transitioning from Hand Tools to Battery Operated, Insulated Tools, Ryan Berg, Greenlee
- Navigating a Drug Free Workplace in Light of Marijuana Laws and Post-Accident Testing Restrictions, Philip Siegel, Hendrick, Phillips, Salzman & Siegel
- Quadrupling Your Effectiveness – Behavioral Styles, Curt Tueffert, Professional - Speaker, Author, and Professor
- Power Distribution Redefined - Mike Montanari, Schneider Electric
- Electrical Trade Labor Shortage & Workforce Development Strategies, Marilyn Stansbury, Tony Varamo, Steve Denier, Todd Hawkins
- Using Cable Pull Calculator for a Safe and Successful Cable Installation, Bill Fowler, Allen Hooper, Southwire
- How to Stretch Your Supervisors to Use Them More Effectively, Dr. Heather Moore & Sonja Daneshgari, MCA, Inc.
- How Digitalization and IoT Intelligence are Driving More Reliable Power Systems, Manny Alexander, Eaton
- Competing Effectively & Profitably on Prevailing Wage Bids, Nathaniel Peniston, BA, Fringe Benefit Group
- When Tragedy Strikes: Managing an OSHA Inspection Following a Fatal or Serious Injury Accident, Phillip Russell, Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, PC
- Negotiation Tools, Tips, Techniques, Curt Tueffer, Speaker, Author, and Professor
- How To Adopt and Survive The Industrialization of Construction®, Dr. Heather Moore & Sonja Daneshgari, MCA, Inc.
- Is Your Business Transferable, Paul Lally III
- Change Orders – Pricing, Selling, Tracking, and Profiting!, Paul Wheaton, McCormick Systems, Inc.
- Building Your Talent Pipeline: Strategies to Reach More Diverse Workers, Patrice Onwuka, Independent Women’s Forum
Platinum Partner Party & Foundation Spotlight & Raffle
After a great day of education, it was time to relax and unwind at the Platinum Partner Party. Attendees enjoyed some great remarks from IEC’s Platinum Partners while rockin’ out to some awesome tunes and winning some amazing prizes, too! Here are the winners of the amazing products donated by our Platinum Partners:
- Graybar – Shirlee McArthur
- ATP – Niel Dawson
- CNA – Steve Humphrey, Jr.
- ABB – Lee Wilson
- Ideal – Steve Denier
- The Home Depot – Gilbert Soliz
- McCormick Systems – Holly Andrews
- Milwaukee – Tony Baumann
- Eaton – Joe Hovanec
- Southwire – Lou Schuler
Attendees learned a little more about the important work of the IEC Foundation at the Foundation Spotlight & Raffle, and one lucky winner, Susan Cox, walked away with an 855GX Intellibender donated by Greenlee.
Red Carpet Watch Party, President’s Address, & President’s Gala & Awards Show
After a full day on October 30, attendees got ready to cheer on the winners of the IEC National Awards at the Red Carpet Watch Party. Host Greg Schwem got the crowd ready for a great night with his special brand of comedy, and a great time was had by all.
At the President’s Address, IEC President Candy Branham gave a heartfelt parting message that recapped her year as president of our organization and the accomplishments IEC has made over the last 12 months. Thank you for everything, Candy!
And finally it was time for the event of the evening, the President’s Gala & Awards Show. All of the 2020 IEC National Award winners, including the winners of the AOY Competition, were recognized and awarded. Review a list of the 2020 IEC National Awards Winners here.
Congratulations to all the winners!
IEC wishes to thank all of our Platinum Partners for their support. Convention wouldn’t have been possible without your generosity.