The Independent Electrical Contractors, Inc. (IEC) is proud to partner with the American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT®) to offer college credit to students of IEC’s Apprenticeship program.
The American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT®) has evaluated and recommended college credit for IEC’s Apprenticeship Program. Founded in 1918, ACE is the major coordinating body for all the nation’s higher education institutions, representing more than 1,600 college and university presidents and more than 200 related associations nationwide. It provides leadership on key higher education issues and influences public policy through advocacy.
ACE recommends that graduates of the IEC’s Apprenticeship program be awarded up to 41 semester hours of college credit.
- First Year = 10 credit hours
- Second Year = 10 credit hours
- Third Year = 10 credit hours
- Fourth Year = 11 credit hours
ACE has partnered with Credly, a leading digital credential provider, to provide IEC students with “badges” on their Acclaim platform. The badges contain information about your completed training explaining what you have learned and know how to do. Once you have been issued and have accepted a badge, you can use Credly’s Acclaim platform to send an official academic transcript directly to a college or university you are interested in attending. You can also share your badges on social media, on your resume, or anywhere else you like.
The transcript informs the institution of the recommended number of credits to issue, as well as the educational level and subject areas of the courses or exams you completed. Please note: Each institution has the sole discretion to determine whether it will accept ACE credit recommendations based on the degree program you apply to at the institution.
View the List of ACE Cooperating Colleges and Universities
Before starting your ACE College credit request, check to see if your college or university participates and accepts ACE credit. Click here to view ACE Credit Colleges & Universities.
Per the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Office of Apprenticeship record retention policies and requirements, IEC chapters are only required to maintain five (5) years of student records. Please contact your local IEC chapter to verify your record and graduation information prior to submitting for ACE Transcript Services.
If you participated in IEC’s Apprenticeship Program prior to the five (5) year period, IEC cannot guarantee you record will be on file.
To receive ACE college credits for IEC apprenticeship training, please following the steps below.
- Contact your local IEC chapter to verify and ensure your student record is on file and have completed all necessary documentation for your training.
- Complete the ACE College Credit Request form, submitting to your local IEC chapter to verify and sign, indicating that they certify the accuracy of the information provided.
- Send completed request form to Patrick Merkel, Director of Education, IEC National, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IEC National will upload your information on your behalf to Acclaim and issue digital badge(s) for your IEC training.
- An email from the Acclaim Platform (email@example.com) will be sent with instructions for claiming your badge and setting up your account.
- Once you have created your Acclaim account and accepted your IEC badge(s), you may then send a formal transcript to a college or university. To send an official transcript, follow the steps below:
- From the homepage dashboard, select the profile Icon drop-down menu in the upper right corner and select "Send Transcripts."
- Review the information, entering in your date of birth, recipient's information, and a custom message.
- Select "Continue", reviewing the information you've filled out including the custom message. If you need to edit any of the information before sending, select the “Back” option. To download a copy of your transcript for your records, click "View Transcript".
- Once you're ready to send your transcription, select “Send”.